Monday 12 February 2018

First Trimester Update



Last week I uploaded the post finding out I was pregnant and really didn't talk much about anything else apart from those initial feelings and thoughts me and Ben had. Now its time to update you on how my first trimester (12 weeks) of pregnancy went and what was enjoyable and not so fun! Yes there are the not so fun things about being pregnant, but the enjoyable feelings outweigh those BY A MILE for SURE!

Here it goes....

After finding out I was pregnant, I had to get in touch with my doctors for an appointment so that they could then arrange for me to see a Midwife during my pregnancy. The first Midwife appointment I had was on Tuesday 9th May at 9am in the morning, three weeks after I found out I was pregnant. At this first appointment, Ben came with me, we were asked a lot of questions, well mainly me, as to when my last cycle date was, if I was currently drinking (NO), currently smoking (NO), and about our own lifestyle. It was a very admin heavy appointment, which I didn't mind at all. It just wasn't what I was expecting, well I don't really know what I was supposed to expect.  I had my blood tests taken and my Midwife (Adriana) said she would phone me within a week with the results. Also she tried to make an appointment there and then for our 12 week scan, but unfortunately couldn't get through to the department to book it, so I left it with her.

Also at this first meeting I explained to her my worries about having twins, well by worries I mean the anxiety I was going through not knowing if it would be twins or not, as they run both in my family and Ben's family. It was then we learnt that it only would affect me if the twins were on my side, not Ben's as its down to the female productive system to release one or two eggs, or something like that, which eased my mind a little. She also recommended a private clinic to me, as I scored high on the anxiety test (which I suffer with anyway) and it was to see if we could have an early reassurance scan. After leaving the appointment with ALL the pregnancy leaflets to read and my maternity notes I didn't waste any time into looking at the private clinic.

Around a day or so after I filled out the form on the clinic website and requested a date for an early reassurance scan, one to see how healthy the baby was, and two to get some cute adorable scan pictures. I don't think you can have enough of these when pregnant. The appointment was made for Sunday 14th May and we both were SO excited!

At this point we hadn't told ANYONE really, the only people who knew I was pregnant was me, Ben and my mum (and line managers at both our works on a need to know basis). We wanted to wait until the 12 week scan at the hospital (which I was waiting for from my Midwife) so we could be sure everything was going well with my health and the health of the baby.


******************************************


Sunday 14th May came around and we were SO excited as we knew we were going to see Ben's mum, dad and brother that night so we could tell them the exciting news, and also my step dad and sister. Well maybe the excitement was also the fact that we realised we were going to see our baby for the first time and hear the heartbeat.

The service at the This Is My Clinic was faultless. I was drinking plenty of water before the scan to ensure the photos were clear and to also help with the sickness (oh yes I had extremely bad morning sickness which was 24 hours a day sickness, time off work because of it and being hospitalised and on IV fluids overnight as I wasn't keeping enough down). I am a lot better now, but back to this section.

KelleyJayMartinBabyWeddingBlog


During the scan I went really emotional when I saw the baby, then the lady conducting the scan let us hear the heart beat and I was tearing up. It is the best feeling ever, one that cant really be described as its unlike anything I have ever felt before. It was a wonderful feeling and the love I felt for the baby  (YES just ONE baby, we aren't having twins, sorry Ben's dad) was just overwhelming.


We left that scan appointment so giddy and just over the moon ! It became more real actually seeing the baby in my tummy and hearing the healthy heartbeat. I really was looking forward to my next scan, as seeing my baby and hearing the heartbeat made me feel all sorts of love.


******************************************


Fast forward to the evening we were up at Ben's mum and dads house, sat with them and his brother and their cousins daughter was there, so we had to wait until she was out of the room before we told them, as we didn't want the rest of the world to know just yet, and for a 7 year old, she is very bright and picks up on anything. She is adorable. Finally Ben's brother took her outside to play and that was when I gave Ben the look to say something to his mum and dad.

"So... how do you fancy being grandparents?" was the question Ben asked his mum and at first they seemed confused and then it hit them that we were telling them I was pregnant. BOTH of them said "its about time" haha and were over the mood. After talking for a while waiting for them both to get their heads around the news, their little cousin came inside and there was a few moments gap where she went upstairs with Ben's mum, his dad said something to us (I cant for the life in me remember what it was) but it was about the baby and his brother walked into the conversation and was slightly confused.

I just came out with "How do you fancy being Uncle Ross?" Again the look of confusion on someone's face was in front of me, so I just repeated the same question as he looked at Ben and me and said "Your pregnant?" and we said yes! We are so happy that Ben's mum, dad and brother were all over the moon hearing the news. It really made our day and the smiles on everyone's faces were great. We showed them the scan photos from that morning and they loved them.


******************************************


Fast forward again to my mums house and we went inside and sat down. We called my sister down from upstairs and said we had something to ask her. My mum and step dad were already in the living room. While waiting for we said to my step dad "How do you feel about being called Grandad?" and he was confused, then it hit him and there was a smile on his face. My sister just about got to sit down when I hit her with the question "How about being Auntie Nicole?" and her response was "really? No, your joking..." and I said "Nope, I'm pregnant and your going to be Auntie Nicole." 

We all sat and chatted about the news and showed the 3 of them the scan photos from the scan we had that morning. Then we explained that is why I have been off work ill and not feeling well, being sicky all the time. 



I will leave it there now as I am aware that this is a VERY long post, good luck if you made it to the end! I struggled while I was reading it back, but didn't want to leave anything out, so I can look back on this and remember the goings on of those few weeks. 


Coming up soon will be a post on telling the rest of our family and our friends and how we announced it on social media. 


Kelley-Jay Martin

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig