Monday 12 February 2018

Finding Out I Was Pregnant

KelleyMartinPregnancyScan

Tuesday 18th April I was sat at home, feeling under the weather, after eating my tea. I just went to bed as usual around 9pm and had the WORST nights sleep ever, was burning up, kept tossing and turning. No matter what I tried I just could not get to sleep.

Wednesday 19th April I phoned in work sick and got a doctors appointment for later that day. I went down and explained my symptoms and was told I had a possible viral illness. High temperature, sickness, headaches and feeling extremely tired and drained of all my energy.

Later that evening, when my partner went to get a McDonalds for tea, (all I wanted was chicken nuggets), I asked him to get a pregnancy test from the chemist. It had to be two tests so I could do one that night and then double check the following morning and also the Clear Blue Digital tests, so that if it was positive it showed how many weeks I was gone. I was letting my thoughts run all over the place while I was waiting on my own. I was nervous but excited. I then looked at my calendar and realised, SORRY if this is TMI, I was exactly 1 week overdue/late on my period.

Ben got back home, we sat and ate our tea, I kept staring at the pregnancy test box thinking all sorts of what if / if not thoughts. We watched TV until 9pm, after the soaps finished and I then came out with, "Right, I'm gonna go upstairs and take the test. We will see what it says and will do another in the morning to double check the result." He responded with "Okay, we will look together when you have done it."

Pottering off upstairs I did what I had to do, which is basically pee on a stick, and then sit and wait for 3 minutes (as the leaflet said that came with the test). I had literally just done the test, laid it down so I couldn't see the digital screen and then washed my hands. I know we said we would look together, but as I picked the test up I saw what it said...

CLEAR AS DAY IT SAID PREGNANT 3+ WEEKS
KelleyMartinBenPregnancyTest

Now I couldn't keep a straight face at all, so as soon as I got to the bottom of the stairs, Ben knew I had seen, not intentionally, I am sure that result came up quicker than 3 minutes, and I think he could tell what it said. I passed it to him and there was a smile and the confused look, which is what I am SURE I pulled when I looked at the result, as if to say, "IS IT REALLY POSITIVE, I DON'T TRUST IT".

Sat in shock and EXCITEMENT we agreed that we would wait until I did the second test Thursday morning, to be certain the first wasn't a false reading. That night again was sleepless for me, but I think it was for Ben too. I cant really remember.

6am came Thursday morning and I shot out of bed to go to the bathroom and do the second test. I was nervous but not as nervous as the night before. I did the test and it did come back with the same result, PREGNANT 3+ WEEKS. We were over the moon that it was positive but I was really scared at the same time. Ben went to work and I phoned in sick and made a doctors appointment for as soon as I could that day, which was 4:30pm so Ben came with me after he finished work. I was scared to go on my own.

This was an UNBELIEVEABLE HUGE SUPRISE that shocked us both. The reality of becoming a mom hit me, I was home alone, and I was crying my eyes out as I was scared, so the first thing I did was ask Ben if I could phone my mum and tell her/ask her to come up. He agreed so that's what I did.

After sat talking to my mum for what seemed like forever I finally calmed down and the scared tears were turning into happy tears. I calmed down as it was making me feel extremely sickly and headachy so mum stayed with me until I had done.

That's where I will leave this story for now. I will talk more about how we felt and how we told other people (and telling my mum) in more detail in another post, but for now I just wanted to share the initial surprise and keep it as short as I could.

I am currently 17 weeks pregnant writing this post, have got over the worse of the morning sickness and myself and Ben and all our family and friends are OVER THE MOON with the brilliant news and are so excited for when the bundle of joy arrives!!


Kelley-Jay Martin
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig